Individual Race Timeline
The Ken Jones Classic ski mountaineering race will be raced over two Courses:
– Long Course (approx. 1500 m of vertical gain and loss)
– Short Course (approx. 1000 m of vertical gain and loss)
We reserve the right to change the race courses at any time in response to weather, safety concerns, or unexpected snow conditions.
Long Course: This will be a longer and a more demanding course with around 1500m of vertical climbing and slightly more than the same amount of skiing elevation loss. It is designed for ski mountaineers that are proficient with their equipment. The course for 2020 will be released in the weeks prior to race weekend, but expect a similar course than previous years. You need to be a fit and skilled skier for this course. The transitions will require you putting on your climbing skins and taking them off. In case of a boot-pack section you will need to strap your skis on your pack. Expect 2 to 4 hours to complete this course.
Short Course: This course is designed for those that have a more relaxed attitude toward ski mountaineering and backcountry ski competition, or, in the case of competitors under the age of 16, that are restricted by the rules to the shorter course. Youth aged 16 through 19 may elect to race on the longer course, but are not required to do so.
With around 1000m of vertical climbing on two uphills and two downhills it should provide you with a great challenge as well as opportunity to have fun. Try it out! Expect up to 3 hours for a real novice to complete the short course!
Ski set up:
- Skis with metal edges or split board
- Bindings (alpine touring or telemark)
- Pack (capable of carrying skis or split board)
- UV protection sunglasses or googles
- Emergency blanket/bivy
- Three top layers
- one long sleeve base layer
- long sleeve jacket or skinsuit (must be worn)
- A waterproof jacket (worn or in the backpack)
- Two bottom layers
- 1 pants or skin suit (must be worn)
- long sleeve breathable wind breaker pants ( worn or in the pack)
Other recommended equipment:
Awards and Draw Prizes
There will be gear prizes for the top three competitors in the short course for each category.
There will be cash prizes for the top three men and women on the long course.
Keep your bib numbers as there will be draw prizes at the awards ceremony party that will take place after the race.